Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker suspended without pay amid sexual misconduct investigation -Core Financial Strategies
Johnathan Walker:Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker suspended without pay amid sexual misconduct investigation
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 05:57:14
Michigan State University head football coach Mel Tucker has been suspended without pay amid his fourth season with the program after sexual misconduct allegations levied against him came to light,Johnathan Walker the university announced on Sunday.
"I have suspended Mel Tucker without pay as an additional interim measure while the investigation continues," MSU Vice President and Athletic Director Alan Haller said in an impromptu news conference Sunday afternoon. "I made this decision with the support of university leadership."
Brenda Tracy, a rape survivor and prominent activist, accused Tucker of making sexual comments toward her and masturbating without her consent during a phone call in April 2022 while she was doing advocacy work with the Spartans, a USA TODAY investigation revealed Sunday. Tucker acknowledged masturbating on a call with Tracy, but claimed it was consensual "phone sex."
MEL TUCKER:Michigan State football coach accused of sexually harassing rape survivor
Tracy filed a complaint with the university’s Title IX office in December, which Haller said he was aware of. Michigan State hired an outside Title IX attorney for the investigation, which was completed in July, and a formal hearing to determine if Tucker violated school policy is scheduled during the Spartans' bye week in early October.
Haller said the university decided to suspended Tucker "in the best interest of everyone, including students athletes and the university community" as new developments in the case came out ahead of the hearing. Haller said he couldn't disclose more information because the investigation is ongoing.
"The university's formal conclusion of the investigation will occur once a hearing and final decision processes are complete," Haller said, adding that the university's main goal is "remains focused on conducting a fair, thorough and unbiased investigation."
The Spartans opened the 2023-24 college football season 2-0, following a dominant 45-14 win over Richmond on Saturday. Michigan State faces Washington next week, but Tucker won't be on the sidelines. Instead, Michigan State defensive coordinator Harlon Barnett will serve as the interim head coach, Haller said. Mark Dantonio, who served as the head coach of MSU from 2007–2019, will return to the program as an associate head coach.
Tucker was hired by Michigan State in 2020 and agreed to a whopping 10-year, $95 million salary contract extension a year later. He's 20-14 as the head coach of the Spartans.
Michigan State is perhaps best known for missing repeated opportunities to stop one of the most prolific sexual abusers in American history. For nearly two decades, Michigan State leaders failed to act on complaints against Larry Nassar, the disgraced former U.S.A. Gymnastics and campus physician accused of sexually assaulting more than 300 female athletes under the guise of medical treatments. He has been sentenced to a minimum of 100 years in prison.
"This morning's news might sound like the MSU of old; it was not," Michigan State President Teresa K. Woodruff. "It is not because an independent unbiased investigation is & continues to be conducted."
veryGood! (762)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- 37 Massachusetts communities to get disaster aid for last year’s flooding
- Pawn Stars Cast Member Rick Harrison's Son Adam Harrison Dead at 39
- Ravens vs. Texans highlights: Lamar Jackson leads Baltimore to AFC championship game
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Hey Now, These Lizzie McGuire Secrets Are What Dreams Are Made Of
- Trawler crashed on rocks off after crew member fell asleep, boat’s owner says
- Maine's top election official asks state supreme court to review Trump ballot eligibility decision
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Logan Lerman's Birthday Message From Fiancée Ana Corrigan Is Like Lightning to the Heart
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- The enduring appeal of the 'Sex and the City' tutu
- Biden signs short-term government funding bill, averting a shutdown
- Macy's layoffs 2024: Department store to lay off more than 2,000 employees, close 5 stores
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Inter Miami vs. El Salvador highlights: Lionel Messi plays a half in preseason debut
- 18 Finds That Are Aesthetic, Practical & Will Bring You Joy Every Day Of The Year
- Parents of Mississippi football player who died sue Rankin County School District
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Jaafar Jackson shows off iconic Michael Jackson dance move as he prepares to film biopic
Sen. Tim Scott to endorse Trump at New Hampshire rally on Friday, days before crucial primary
Loewe explores social media and masculinity in Paris fashion show
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
More searching planned at a Florida Air Force base where 121 potential Black grave sites were found
Trawler crashed on rocks off after crew member fell asleep, boat’s owner says
Brutally cold weather expected to hit storm-battered South and Northeast US this weekend